A Dad's Letter to his Son
Today are your sports trials. I hope you make the team.
I hope you make the team because of all the things that being part of a team can teach you, but also for the things you can contribute to a team.
If you make the team;
1. I hope you love it - the sport, your teammates, your coaches, the competition, and your school. When I see people who love what they do, it brings me great joy and it becomes contagious.
2. I hope you display great courage. It takes courage to do what is right, to stand up for yourself and more importantly, for others. Being on a team gives us countless chances to display courage. I know you are prepared.
3. I hope you give your best effort regardless of the situation. I think that is the right way to do anything.
4. I hope you are thankful for the opportunity that you have to play a game with your friends. I hope you are thankful to the coaches, officials, your opponents, and anybody else who makes this possible.
If you don't make the team;
1. I hope you accept the decision of the coaches with class even though you might be disappointed.
2. I hope you are still grateful for the chance that you had to try out. Not everybody has those opportunities.
3. I hope you learn about some ways you can improve and then work to get better for next year. We are all disappointed at times in our lives but the important thing is how you respond to disappointment.
4. I hope you go to the games and support your friends, your classmates, and your school.
I can't wait to hear how you did.
Regardless of the outcome, I love you.