Highlights of October Week Three
Debating - Gauteng Senior Schools' Team
Huge congratulations to Jemma Jenkins-Ferrett on her selection to the Senior Gauteng Debating team. Jemma is only in grade 9 and was selected from 500 candidates for one of the 20 places. This really is an amazine achievement!
Otter Trail Runner
Mrs Rachel Manyathi does it AGAIN. She has just completed the Otter Trail in a time of 7 hours - yes - it usually takes folks DAYS!
President's Award recipients
Well done to the following Silver award students:
- Hayley Fawcett
- Sian Wilson
- Tayla Arnoldi
Also to the following girls who have just embarked on the President's award journey with their Bronze awards:
- Abigail Sooku
- Jennavieve Williams
- Amanda Aitken
- Nadine Acheampong
- Caroline Mack
Indoor Hockey representatives
Well done to Jade de Souza and Cloe de Souza on their selection for the Gauteng Gryphons Hockey team which will play in Cape Town in December.
Water Polo winners
Congratulations to the St Stithians Girls’ College Water Polo 1st Team on their win at Clarendon in East London. The girls played Stirling in the final and won on penalties. Stirling are currently the no. 1 ranked school in girls’ water polo!
Pierre le Roux, coach of the side, was delighted with the girls’ performance all weekend especially as they ended up scoring 52 goals and only conceded 2 goals in the lead up to finals. The defence was phenomenal. They beat Hudson Park 6-0, DSG 10-0, Pearson Invitational 10-2, Clarendon 3-0 in the pool playoffs, then went on to play Collegiate in the Quarter finals winning that game 7-0. A repeat performance in the semis against DSG, 10-0, saw them progress to the finals where they played Stirling.
The Stirling side, who have 5 girls in South African teams at present, ensured that the game was a very tough competition. Saints drew 4-4 at the end of the allotted time and then proceeded to a penalty shoot-out. Zanné Smit in grade 9 was named Goalkeeper of the Tournament and new captain, Bianca Prinsloo, was named the Best Attacker.
Interestingly the last time that St Stithians sent a team to the competition was in 2012 where the current St Stithians manager and ex goalkeeper, Nicola Partridge, also won gold.
The final standings at the end of the tournament were:
- St Stithians College
- Pearson Invitation
- Hudson Park
Superb results at the Sanesa Nationals last week saw
Tamsin Hirst win gold in the Level 2 Showjumping section
Sarah Smith won silver medals for both the Level 3 Dressage and Level 7 Working Rider
Melissa James won bronze in the Level 3 Equitation
Tennis Junior Masters
Jessica Assenmacher took part in the ITF (International Tennis Federation) u18 tournament in Stellenbosch as well as the SA annual Tennis Junior Masters, an event where the top 16 ranked players from each age group are invited to compete. She was placed 7th in the masters and also currently holds the number one ranking in the country for doubles in her age group!
Rowing St Dunstan's Regatta results
- Our u15 girls were entered into the u16 division to get some 2k race experience and they raced so well.
- U16C quad of Dominique Dos Reis, Caitlin Macfarlane, Vuyo Mashinini, Kiera Gouws and cox Khanyi Ntozini won by a landslide.
- U16B quad of Moshoe Khwinana, Mia Rogers, Marriana Katsoulis, Jess Endenburg and cox Vuyo Mashinini placed 3rd
- U16C doubles: Dominique Dos Reis and Caitlin MacFarlane placed 2nd. Kiera Gouws and Khanyi Ntozini placed 4th.
- U16B doubles: Moshoe Khwinana and Marianna Katsoulis won Gold, Mia Rogers and Jessica Endenburg got silver.
- U16A quad of Sydney Davison, Jordan Korevaar, Megan Cronje, Heather Tanner and cox Jennavieve Williams placed 2nd. There best ever result in this event.
- 2nd doubles: crew of Katie Tyndale-Biscoe and Amanda Aitken won Gold. It was Amanda's first regatta.
- 1st double of Kate Pringle and Jennavieve Williams after a spectacular dice against St Andrews and Holy Rosary placed 3rd.
- 2nd quad of Madison Crews, Katie Tyndale-Biscoe, Kate Pringle, Amanda Aitken and Cox Shannen Etter placed 2nd.
Congratulations to Emily Fields on her appointment as the Deputy Head of Movie Makers 2017.
Dr Seuss stories read by Gr 10s
Our Gr 10 girls loved reading their creative Dr Seuss type stories to their captive audience, the JP, this week.
Netball Fast Five Gold Medallists
Congratulations to our Junior and Senior Netball Fast Five players who won gold at the recent tournament!
Hockey - Top goal scorer
Congratulations to Cloe de Souza on her trophy for the highest goal scorer in the Super Five hockey tournament.